Quinta do Lago Ladies Turn on the Style on Europe’s Fairways
Quinta do Lago, Algarve, Portugal, July 29, 2021 / TRAVELINDEX / Quinta do Lago’s position at the forefront of ladies’ golf in Europe has received a ringing double endorsement with two of its new generation of stars excelling on the fairways across Europe this summer.
• Discover the World’s Best Golf Courses at Top 25 Golf Courses.
Teenager Sofia Barroso Sá confirmed her prodigious talent by finishing joint-second in the German Boys and Girls Open while Sara Gouveia claimed first place in the ladies’ competition, and third overall, at the third event of the 2021 Portuguese Golf Federation Tour.
Staged this year at St. Leon-Rot Golf Club – venue for the 2015 Solheim Cup – the German Boys and Girls Open is one of the most prestigious junior golf tournaments in the world and Sá produced an outstanding display to finish ahead of more than 100 of Europe’s best juniors.
The reigning Portuguese under-16 girls’ champion saved the best until last on the Rot Course, defying tricky weather conditions in south-west Germany to shoot a course-record one-under 71 in the final round of the 54-hole event to finish on a total of 210, two strokes behind Sweden’s Meja Ortengren.
Following a stellar amateur career which included winning the Portuguese under-18 girls’ title, Gouveia – who is based at Quinta do Lago – turned professional last year and has wasted no time in making an impact in the professional ranks, with her latest impressive performance coming at Troia Golf.
After carding a 76 in her opening 18 holes, Gouveia charged through the field in the second and final round, recording six birdies and four in the final six holes to shoot a two-under 70, one of only two players beat par at the event.
There was further good news for Quinta do Lago and the resort’s academy at Troia with Swedish teenager Maia Samuelsson, who is also based at the top Portuguese venue, finishing as the top amateur in 11th place overall after rounds of 79 and 74.
Jose Ferreira, head professional and academy manager at Quinta do Lago, said: “These results are nothing short of outstanding and I couldn’t be happier for all the players. It’s one thing to hit the ball well in practice but quite another to take that form into a tournament environment.
“They have proved that they have what it takes to compete at the highest level and the signs bode very well for the future for all three of them.”
The trio’s performances continue a fantastic run for Quinta do Lago’s academy and its talented group of boys and girls after the resort’s juniors won seven national titles in 2020 – including being crowned Portuguese junior club champions for the first time in its history.
Overseen by Ferreira, and his team of coaches, the resort’s junior team features more than 35 children in each development category – elite, competition and beginner – and age group.
Set amongst 2,000 acres of the picturesque Ria Formosa Natural Park and just a 15-minute drive from Faro airport, Quinta do Lago has been at the forefront of Europe’s elite golf, sports and family destinations for nearly five decades and features a combination of world-class golf and lifestyle facilities.
As well as three 18-hole championship golf courses – the North, South and Laranjal – and outstanding practice facilities, guests can enjoy an array of sports at the state-of-the-art performance centre The Campus, a world-class sports hub designed for professionals and amateurs alike to train and live well.
• Discover the World’s Best Golf Courses at Top 25 Golf Courses.
Complementing the facilities is a choice of 13 first-class bars and restaurants that deliver a range of delicious world cuisines, including the acclaimed Bovino Steakhouse and UMAMI – the resort’s first Asian restaurant which opened in May – and accommodation at the boutique The Magnolia Hotel.
About Quinta do Lago
Since its inception in 1972, Quinta do Lago has been at the forefront of international golf, hosting eight Portuguese Opens as well as numerous other international tournaments. Home to three world-class golf courses, the resort also boasts a wealth of cutting-edge practice facilities.
- Quinta do Lago North Course – Opening in October 2014, the totally revamped North Course has been redeveloped by renowned American golf architect Beau Welling in close collaboration with 2014 European Ryder Cup captain Paul McGinley and is set to become one of the new stars of European golf. The new layout has been built to the highest specifications with a €9.6m investment programme and has been redeveloped with the emphasis firmly on precision and strategy. While many modern-day developments tend to focus on length, Welling and McGinley have been keen to design a golfing experience where accuracy and course management are the key factors, and a course that is playable and fun for golfers of all abilities.
- Quinta do Lago South Course – A favourite among European Tour professionals, the South Course calls for accurate drives and precise shots, but rewards players for their efforts with the stunning backdrop of the Ria Formosa Natural Park. Regularly included in Golf World magazine’s ‘Top 100 Golf Courses in Europe’, the par-72 layout has received widespread praise for its strategically-placed hazards and varying difficulty across the 18 holes. Having hosted the Portuguese Open on no fewer than eight occasions, the South Course is regarded as one of Portugal’s premier golfing venues.
- Laranjal – Designed by Jorge Santana da Silva in the grounds of an orange grove, the par-72 course was named as Portugal’s Best Golf Course 2011 at the Portuguese Travel Awards, and poses serious tests for players of all abilities. Opened in 2008, Laranjal offers a pure golfing experience right next to the Quinta do Lago estate and features fairways sown with Bermuda grass, providing a challenging playing environment in a picture-perfect setting.
- Paul McGinley Academy – Quinta do Lago is home to the only Paul McGinley Academy in the world, founded in October 2011 by Europe’s 2014 Ryder Cup captain. With a strong involvement from McGinley himself, who is a regular visitor to the resort, the academy aims to cultivate and improve golfers’ play by providing them with the tools and techniques used on the professional Tours. The academy focuses especially on younger players, working in collaboration with local schools and is the perfect way to follow in the footsteps of the pros.
- TaylorMade Performance Center – Quinta do Lago’s TaylorMade Performance Centre is the only facility of its kind in Portugal and is located on the resort’s expansive driving range. Opened in May 2013, the centre is operated by trained TaylorMade technicians, offering golfers a custom-fitting experience testing hundreds of club and iron options, ensuring the best combination for every player’s swing. It also has a fully equipped Tour standard workshop and utilises FlightScope X2 radar technology to measure the entire flight of the ball from impact to landing whilst displaying its 3D trajectory in real time.
Set amongst 2,000 acres of the picturesque Ria Formosa Natural Park and located just 15 minutes from Faro airport, Quinta do Lago offers residents and guests an unparalleled location benefiting from a year-round temperate climate, a variety of lifestyle pursuits and a strong sense of community.